Thursday, September 1, 2011

Now, that's an odd experience

I got a voice mail from the mail order pharmacy (part of my medical plan) last night that said they needed to verify my address. Since I recently moved to a new state, I figured, sure -- makes sense to me.

I called the 800 number this morning and got a cheerful recording. I expected that I would be directed to a menu with "Press 1 to talk to a human", "Press 2 to be annoyed for 30 minutes", and so on.

Instead I got a recording that said, "Your privacy is important ... this will be monitored .. yada yada" I listened with half an ear. Then I heard, "To be sure we're correct, is this {my name here}"?

I sat up straighter. Whoa. How did they know ... yikes. They tracked back the phone number, right? I answered "Yes". Then the recording proceeded with "We need to verify your address. Is it {my address here}?" I answered "Yes" again and I got a cheerful, "Thank you. That's all we needed. We'll process your order."

I don't know whether to be creeped out or relieved it was so easy. I mean, pizza places do a reverse lookup when I order pizza, right ("What's your phone number? Okay, is this {my address here}?") Why shouldn't medical people do it ...

But I still have the eerie feeling I am no longer in stealth mode. I've moved and now They know where I am.