Saturday, April 7, 2018

A gruesome death scene

This is one of the very first books I ever wrote and it's somewhat based on truth.

I knew a man like Tom, someone haunted by Viet Nam and what happened there, a man recruited by a shadowy agency who used his genius for ... I'm not sure what.

I embellished the story but wasn't sure who the hero would be. Then a news story caught my eye about a local small town sheriff who was retiring after 30 years of police work. What would life be like for him now that he was a civilian?

One thought led to another, and this book was born. It has a chilling death scene that still gives me shivers, if I do say so myself.

I rewrote it about 6 times, I think, before I think I got it right. These characters show up in some other books, and characters from Brilliant Disguise show up in this book as well. See if you can spot them!