Sunday, January 13, 2019

That age-old conflict

Well, it seems age-old to me.

It's the conflict between business and creativity. I really need to focus on the business aspect of writing: publishing. Yes, I have a publisher that I love (The Wild Rose Press) and they manage most of my books.

But I have 5 orphan books that have come back to me from publishers who folded. So I need to figure out what to do with those.

And there's the series coming up: The Endless American Dream. It's not a good fit with Wild Rose. That means I'll need to pitch it to a publisher or self-publish.

Then there's publicity: I don't do squat for marketing and I really should.

Business takes energy that I want to use for writing. This is a familiar complaint to anyone who is creative. I'm not rich enough to pay someone to do my business for me, so I need to do it. But I'm not doing it. I'm writing, which is what I love to do.

If you have an answer to this quandary, I would love to hear it (as would a bunch of other authors). Until I have an answer, I've decided that I'm going to focus on writing for the first half of the year. The second half, I'll focus on business. I'll try to set aside two days a month in the creative half for business, and two days a month in the business half for creativity.

That's the plan, anyway. Let's see if I can make it work!